Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan


Sorry I haven't posted anything for so long. I don't know why I haven't. Seems like I haven't been making any new recipes or maybe I just think you don't care to know about some things. Anyway last night I made this dish and I thought it was great. I served it over noodles like you would eat it at a restaurant. My kids both loved this which was weird. It is pretty sweet though. My Mother-in-law gave me some eggplant from her garden. I am trying to make more "meatless" dinners so this was a good one for us. Super cheap and super easy.

Ingredients

1 large eggplant, sliced about 1/3 inch thick
1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup dry breadcrumbs or crushed saltine
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
1/2 cup sugar
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste (I used a jar of sauce instead)
3 cups hot water (leave this out if you use a jar sauce)
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese or monterey jack cheese, shredded

Directions

1 Dip eggplant into beaten egg, then into a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
2 Brown in oil on both sides and transfer onto plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
3 In remaining oil, brown onion, then add tomato paste, hot water, and seasonings.
4 Cook for 5 minutes.
5 Pour a third of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
6 Put a layer of eggplant over the sauce, and put on 1/3 the cheese, more parmesan if wanted, 1/3 more sauce, and then repeat, making sure you end with sauce.
7 Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 and a half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment