Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Orange Chicken

I saw this and thought I would give it a try since I love the Chinese food and it is something I like to eat out. Yes, it does require some frying. I know, shameful. Just the other day I was telling Buffy how I wanted to start eating more healthy foods and start being more aware of what I put in my body. She goes, yeah right you fat pig. Get in the kitchen and fix us something to eat! Can you believe she said that to me? The nerve! Not really but I did just tell her I was going to get healthy and then look what I go and do. Here is the recipe. It was a hit at the Reid house and I will be serving it again. Now let me give you some tips should you decide to try your hand at this. It took a little more time that I usually spend preparing the evening meal. If you were having guests this would be a tasty treat.

1. 3 pounds of chicken is a lot. You will have leftovers by the truckload unless you are serving a bigger crowd than just your family. I realized this about halfway through trying to fry up 3 pounds of chicken. Benjamon woke up from his nap (not good) so as I was trying to finish he sat at my feet crying out Momma, Momma. Then he proceeded to pull my shorts down to my ankle as he attempted to pull up on my leg (again not good) but what could I do? I must get this chicken cooked I thought to myself as I stood there with my pants around my ankles. Granny panties fully exposed as I stood there and fried chicken. No shame in my game, right?

2. Slow down sister! I know you’re going to try and dump all this chicken in one pan. You must fry a little at a time leaving room around the sides. If you put it all in it will stick together and make a scene from a Freddie Kruger movie. For real ya’ll!

3. You need a big ole pan to bake it in! I started off with a 9 X 13 and couldn’t fit it all so I moved up a size. A big fine woman such as myself has larger pans than 9 X 13 in her house. If you don’t then you might want to cut this in half or use two pans.

I served this with my fried rice recipe minus the chicken as a side dish. I hope that you will try this. It is oh so good and well worth the effort. Benjamon enjoyed it too by the way.

3 comments: