Friday, April 24, 2009

Chicken Fried Rice


This was an excellent and cheap dish. I cooked that chicken that I bought last week for $2.38. We had the chicken one night and I used the leftovers to put in this rice. So we got two dishes out of it. I forgot to take a picture of my chicken. Next time I cook one I will post how to cook a whole chicken that is super good and easy! Whole chicken is the cheapest way to buy it but I know it can be weird if you aren’t used to handling a whole bird! Back to the rice. I used this recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I hope you will try this. I doubled the recipe below so that we would have leftovers for lunch. Also the picture was taken after we had eaten because my battery was dead. So this is a photo of the leftovers.

Ingredients
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 1 teaspoon soy sauce
· 1 teaspoon sesame oil or vegetable oil (I used olive oil because that is what I had)
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon cooking oil
· 1 stalks celery, thinly bias-sliced (1/2 cup)
· 3/4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (left this out because I didn’t have any)
· 1 8.8-ounce pouch cooked white rice
· 1 medium carrot, shredded
· 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
· 2 tablespoons soy sauce
· 2 green onions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
Directions
1. In a small bowl combine eggs and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.
2. Pour 1 teaspoon sesame oil into a wok or large skillet. Preheat over medium heat. Add garlic and egg mixture and stir gently to scramble. When set, remove egg mixture from the wok. Cut up any large pieces of egg mixture. Remove wok from heat.
3. Pour 1 tablespoon cooking oil into the wok or skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Return to medium-high heat. Stir-fry celery in hot oil for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Add cooked rice, carrot, and peas & chicken. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Add cooked egg mixture and green onions; cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.
5. Makes 6 side dish servings

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to learning how to cook a whole bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe and I didn't have any celery or mushrooms to put in it and it was still super good. also I substituded 2 C minute rice cause that's what I had

    ReplyDelete