Friday, March 19, 2010

Tropical Coconut Bread


I had some coconut that I needed to use up. I've had this recipe for a while and it seemed weird so I never made it. I was really surprised by this. It was really sweet and delicious. I asked Meredith if she wanted to try some bread and she informed me that it was cake not bread. It does remind me of a vanilla cupcake. Super moist and crumbly and the coconut flavor isn't very strong. Just a little hint. Maybe if I used coconut extract instead of vanilla it would have been stronger but I didn't want to go out and buy coconut extract because I would probably never use the rest of it. Now wouldn't that be foolish and wasteful?

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons coconut extract (I used vanilla instead)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded coconut

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease and flour two 9 1/2" x 5 1/2" loaf pans.
Do not use a mixer with this recipe.
Use a spoon or spatula and stir by hand.
In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, beaten eggs, and coconut extract; mix well.
Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture and stir only until moist.
Stir in shredded coconut.
Pour batter into the two prepared loaf pans, place on middle rack and bake for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment