Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fried Okra



Summer is here. Which means lots of veggies and fruit from the garden around the Reid house. Everyone in our family grows a garden so we get creative using the produce. You will see some of that later in the summer when I get sick of fixing the same old things. Everyone in my family cooks okra different. If you have fresh okra just rinse it off. Then cut it into small slices. Leave out the ends. Then I put mine in a bowl and add about a half cup of flour and cornmeal to cover. Then add salt and pepper. If I have fish fry mix I use that because it's already seasoned. If not I add some season salt to give extra taste. The pour enough oil in a large skillet to cover the bottom. I cook it on medium high and turn occasionally. Since I do most of my cooking during the kids afternoon nap I cook this until almost done. Then I put it in a pan and stick it in the oven with whatever else I am cooking. If I am not cooking anything else then I cook on about 250 until I am ready to serve.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was at your house eating fried okra right now!!! I love how you make it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me too!! I need to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GLAD I AM YOU POSTED THIS B/C FRIED OKRA IS MY FAVORITE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete